If you're a sewer, quilter, fabric artist, or just someone who likes to do a lot of fabric cutting, you'll know that having the right tools makes the job a lot easier. That's why I decided to purchase a set of electric scissors for fabric. After doing some research on the best ones available, I settled on the brand [Electric Fabric Shears]. So, today I'm going to tell you all about them and whether or not they're the right choice for you.
What types of scissors can I use for fabric?
There are a few different types of fabric shears available on the market, and each has its own set of benefits:
- The standard fabric shears (manual scissors) are your basic scissors that can be used for cutting fabric and other materials. They're perfect for everyday use and are a great option for beginners.
- The electric scissor is powered by electricity or rechargeable batteries making them a lot faster and easier to use than traditional scissors. They're perfect for people who do a lot of fabric cutting or have arthritis that makes it difficult to use traditional scissors.
- The pinking fabric shears (manual scissors) have teeth along the blade that help to prevent fabric from fraying. This makes them perfect for finishing off fabric edges or for quilting.
Can I use normal paper cutting scissors on fabric?
Although fabric scissors can be used to cut paper, they're not the best option for this purpose. Paper is a much harder material than fabric, so using fabric scissors can result in an uneven edge and make them unsuitable for use on fabric. Using fabric scissors to cut paper can blunt the blades and make them unsuitable for cutting fabric. If you need to cut paper, it's best to use a pair of standard scissors or a paper cutter for scrapbooking or non fabric crafting projects.
What are electric fabric shears?
Electric fabric shears are scissors that are powered by electricity as opposed to being hand-held. This means that they're a lot faster and easier to use, especially when cutting through multiple layers of fabric. They can also be used for a range of other materials, such as paper and cardboard.
Benefits of Electric Fabric Shears
There are a number of benefits to using electric fabric shears, including:
- They're a lot faster and easier to use than traditional scissors, making cutting through fabric a breeze.
- They can be used for a range of other materials, such as paper, cardboard and other craft materials. But if you are wanting to use them for fabric cutting I suggest to have a designated scissor blade for this.
- They're perfect for people who have arthritis or other hand-related issues that make it difficult to use traditional scissors.
How to Use Electric Fabric Shears
To use electric fabric shears, first make sure that they're properly plugged into an outlet (or batteries are charged). Next, hold the fabric that you want to cut in one hand, and place the electric fabric shears in the other. Gently squeeze the handles together to cut through the fabric.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing Electric Scissors
When looking to purchase a set of electric scissors, there are a few things you'll need to take into consideration:
- The type of fabric scissors. There are a few different types of fabric shears available on the market, so make sure you pick the right scissors for your needs. Consider the cutting tasks you will mainly be using them for, and whether you require them for a range of different materials or just mainly thin materials such as cotton poplin, or heavy materials such as denim.
- The brand. Not all fabric scissors are created equal, so it's important to do your research and find a reputable brand that offers a good quality product.
- The price - Electric fabric shears can vary in price, so make sure you set a budget before you start shopping. Electric scissors for fabric can be purchased for a reasonable price on Ebay and Amazon, however, if you fall in love with electric scissors it may be worth investing in some expensive scissors long term.
- The wattage - Electric fabric shears come in different wattages, so make sure you choose one that's powerful enough for your needs and the ability to cut through heavy fabrics or thin materials.
- Spare parts - are you able to easily source spare parts for your power scissors? Most fabric scissors will have two blades, with repeated use especially on thicker materials, the blade may become dull over time. In which case you will need to be able to purchase an extra blade.
What power options do electric fabric shears have?
Electric fabric scissors come with a range of different power supply options, including batteries, mains power pluggable and USB. It's important to decide which option is best for you before purchasing a pair of electric fabric scissors.
Battery Operated Scissors
Battery operated scissors are a good option for someone that is on the go or moving about their sewing room a lot. However, check to see if it comes with one battery or two re-chargeable batteries, as if you do a lot of fabric cutting, to save time it is best to two batteries.
If you're someone who travels a lot or doesn't have easy access to mains power pluggable options, then battery-powered electric fabric scissors are the perfect option for you. Mains-powered electric fabric scissors are perfect if you have easy access to a plug-in, while USB-powered fabric scissors are great for people who want to use them on the go.
What cutting speed do most electric scissors have?
One word, Fast! The speed at which electric scissors cut through fabric can vary, but most models have a cutting speed of around 2,500 cuts per minute. This means that they can easily cut through multiple layers of fabric in a short amount of time.
Are electric scissors for fabric safe?
Electric fabric scissors are generally safe to use, but it's important to read the manufacturer's instructions before using them. It's also important to remember to always unplug electric fabric scissors when they're not in use. Something to also check before purchasing is that there is a lock and safety button. Electric cutting tools are powerful and the two cutting blades move very quickly when in motion, it could definitely pose a risk to young children so it is important to store them in a safe place and out of reach of little ones.
My pink power scissors definitely are super fast in comparison to normal sewing scissors. I used them all day at the warehouse and found they had a really long battery life (I don't even need to re-charge them!). They also cut through a range of different fabrics like butter, no snagging or pulling on the fabric. They are certainly fit for the purpose and performed really well. I purchased these off Amazon and they are rather inexpensive. They came with a charging cord and two cutting blades. I do like them and will be using them at the warehouse.
When I first got these almost a year ago now, I was too nervous to use them to cut out fabric for patterns. However, I now feel really confident using them to cut fabric for sewing and can easily maneuverer them around the curves of pattern pieces. It has now become my proffered method of cutting our pattern pieces believe it or not! It's super-fast, the blades don't dull (ours are still going strong) and makes cutting out pattern pieces an absolute breeze!
I did "invest" in a more expensive pair then the cheap Amazon ones, however, all the Melco staff agree the Amazon ones are far superior, sturdier and survive the odd drop or two on a concrete floor and still solider on. So in saying that, I don't agree "you get what you pay for" in this scenario, the cheap Amazon ones win hands down.
I would love to know your opinion, have you tired fabric shears before? Are you keen to give them a go? If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message or leave a comment below.
Happy Sewing Friends!